“Events can be defined as “occurrences planned to communicate particular information to end audience”- Philip Kotler.
Simply telling Events are occasions, moments and happenings that just happen or are made to happen. Marriage, Pooja, Bartabanda, Dances, Jatras, Deusi-Bhailo, Concerts, Meetings, Exhibitions these all are examples of events.
And if we plan, bring the concept, search for sponsorships, decide the venue and make the event happen then it is called event management. For example to make a concert happen we have to first think of it and lastly, we make it happen. The process in between is even management.
Objectives Of Events
- Economic Benefits: One of the core aims of modern events like concerts, film festivals, and other commercial festivals and events is to gain economic benefits.
- Social changes: Some events may aim to change the bad happenings of society.
- Personal Relations: Generating networks and relations with different peoples of similar interests can also be major objective of some events.
- Entertainment and Joy: Some events may focus on getting entertained and cherishing the moments.
- Preserve and Promote Culture: Some events like cultural festivals and Jatras aim to preserve and promote one’s culture.
- Promote Sales And Leads: Events like exhibitions are aimed at increasing leads and sales of product or services.
Advantages of Events (Pros)
- Business Exposure: Events like exhibitions, conferences and others have potential benefits in giving exposure to one’s company.
- Public Relations: Events concerned with organization give an extraordinary chance to arrange or broaden our system of contacts and to meet clients, associates and different experts face to face.
- Increase Sales And Leads: Events provide exposure to business and brand this, in turn, increases the sales and leads.
- Increase Your Stardom: Events and festivals can help you and your business stand out in the herd and increase your stardom
- Economic Benefits: Events can work as a tool to earn money. Money can be earned through ticket sales, sponsorships, merchandising and so on.
- Interaction with the right audience
- Digital materials for the website and social media (Photos, Videos0
- Adds charm to your portfolio.
Disadvantages of Events (Cons)
- Hectic Job: Planning and carrying out an event is a long and hectic job
- Event is affected by various external factors like climate, political situations, protests and so on.
- There remains a chance of economic and physical loss
- Events may bring in traffic jams, chaos and congestions
- Locale peoples might get affected and disturbed due to events
- Something wrong directly hampers the brand and company.
Principle of Event Management
- Detailed Planning: There must be a strong plan to govern the event for its success.
- Know Your Audience: Event organizers must know who their target audiences are.
- Know something wrong may happen. Don’t take everything for guaranteed.
- Trust but verify: Trust the co-workers, staffs and associated peoples but their work should be verified by you as an event manager or event coordinator.
- Marketing Is Must: MArketing is necessary for the success of the event. As a manager, you should be good at marketing and know all the 9 Ps of event marketing.
- The venue plays an important role: Without venue an event is meaningless. Also, the success of the event depends upon the right choice of venue. So, as a manager you should be cautious to choose the right venue.
- Always carry a backup plan
- Evaluate: Evaluate and monitor whether the event is going as per the plan or not. if not requires more effort and work.
Five C’s Of Event Planning
- Carry Out